Explore the Nature of Living Colour (1)
When & Where
What it's all about
Create a palette of botanical dyes from the local landscape. In this natural dyeing workshop you will learn the basics of foraging for wild dye plants and how to use these botanicals to create beautiful colours, as well as preparing materials and fixing dyes to fabric. Using bundle and immersion dyeing techniques in combination with block printing you will create one of a kind hand printed designs on card and cloth.
During this three day workshop you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about different techniques for dyeing
- Where to find and identify local plants for dyeing
- How to prepare and store fabrics, papers, dyes and plant material
- Learn about the pretreatment and the mordanting process
- How to print beautiful colours on fabric
- Hand carve wood block to create patterns on dyed fabric
In this workshop we will be exploring natural dyes and different dyeing techniques. Both card and cloth will be provided for this workshop, however participants are also welcome to bring their own fabric, wool and garments that they would like to dye during the workshop.